Monday 14 September 2015

Sewing in lace part four - endless hand sewing

It feels like a never ending story of hand sewing. I don't mind per se; I like sewing by hand. I first basted the soutache lace to the silk layers. I did it at even 10 centimetres intervals, since I thought it would be handy for the next step.
Basting lace | www.stinap.com
Or rather - the next step was the rather nerve-racking cutting in the lace. No turning back, and tiny seam allowances centre back...
Cutting lace | www.stinap.com
Then, the next step was to secure the lace permanently,and now the even rows of basting came in handy. I simply used a running stitch, tiny on the right sight in the middle of the soutache, and larger on the back, depending on the distance of the soutache.
Attaching lace | www.stinap.com
Attaching lace back | www.stinap.com
A rather nice couple of hours of sewing, but now I have the real deal looming over my head. Will the darts and seams be too bulky? How do I finish the raw edges? Should I line it? And not too much time; I'm very much in doubt to whether I'll finish a blouse as well. Two weeks to go...
Sewing lace | www.stinap.com

7 comments:

  1. AAB: I make all sorts of things! I mostly make birds (usually for wedding cakes) and tiny little animals, but I love quilting too, when I can find the time. I sew something every single day. No lie. best sewing machine for kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work, wish I had the patience and skill for this. EmbroideryCritics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different sewing machines come with different stitches. The basic machines may only have a few stitches, which if all you are going to be doing is mending, a few is all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basic hand sewing and quilting are widely practiced in the United States and Canada today. Despite the popularity of sewing machines and mass production techniques, it's good to know that a lot of people still value tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I began with a small and simple design in order to learn the quilting process. I usually home sew my quilts by sewing machine and still find the addition of the related supplies extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs every day. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Naturally I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.
    Brother Project Runway PC420PRW reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is very nice, thanks to upload this. water purifier

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...